First things first, Happy early New Year to everyone! I know it’s a couple of days away, but since this is posting before New Year Eve, I wanted to say it now. 🙂 Also, congratulations to the new brides out there! This is such an exciting time in your life. Let the wedding planning begin!
Wedding Plan Timelines
Because I am sure there are a ton of brides just beginning their research, I thought it would be a good time to call on my past experience as a wedding photographer! I wanted to talk wedding planning timelines with you. This can vary so much between weddings. In general, though, this is the order with which you can start a plan.
1 Year Prior
- Work out a budget. Be sure to give yourself enough to plan your dream wedding!
- Book a venue. For some venues, one year out may not be enough time.
- Draft a guest list.
- Have your engagement party.
- Register for gifts.
- Hire your wedding planner. I highly recommend Megan Rusch Soiree’s.
- Hire your wedding photographer. I recommend Laura Ann Miller, ImageClairity, or Conner Photography!
10 Months Prior
- Pick an officiant.
- Choose your bridal party.
- Meet with caterers, Dj’s, etc.
- Take engagement photos.
- Launch your wedding website.
8 Months Prior
- Order your dress!
- Block hotel rooms for guests.
- Begin cake tastings and order your cake.
- Begin your makeup trials. I highly recommend the Blowout Bar or Savanah Summer Beauty.
6 Months Prior
- Choose your invitations. I really like On Three Designs in St. Louis!
- Send out your Save the Dates.
- Book your Honeymoon.
- Order your bridesmaids’ dresses.
- Purchase your wedding bands. Check out The Diamond Family in STL. 🙂
- Book your florist.
- Arrange transportation.
- Begin planning your day of timeline. I am actually planning to make an entire blog post about this in the next few months so stay tuned!
- Book your BOUDOIR SESSION!!! You knew this was going to be in here some where.
4 Months Prior
- Choose your groomsmen’ attire.
- Plan the rehearsal and rehearsal dinner.
- Confirm vendors
- Confirm your hair and makeup.
- Choose your music.
- Finalize the menu and flowers.
- Order favors.
- Plan the readings during the wedding and a list of those giving toasts at the reception.
- Print menu cards and programs.
- Finalize the order of the ceremony and reception.
- Send a timeline to your wedding vendors.
- Have your boudoir session photographed.
2 Months Prior
- Mail the invitations.
- Write/decide on wedding vows.
- Purchase your day of accessories.
- Confirm the day of transportation.
- Meet with/touch base with your vendors.
- Pick up your BOUDOIR ALBUM!
6 Weeks to 1 Month Prior
- Get your marriage license.
- Send out final payments
- Have your bachelorette party!
- Have your bridal shower!
- Confirm times for hair and makeup and the other vendors.
- Give your shot list to your photographer.
- Review the music with the DJ.
- Purchase bridesmaids’ gifts.
Week of the Wedding
- Final head count of guests.
- Finalize the seating chart.
- Send a timeline to the bridal party.
- Pick up your dress.
- Check in one last time with your photographer.
- Pack for your honeymoon.
2 Days Prior
- Get a spray tan with Missy at Just Fakin Tans.
- Have your nails done.
- Wrap bridesmaids’ gifts and grooms gifts.
I’m not gonna lie, even writing all that down stressed me out. Be sure to have a planner and someone you can trust to help you keep on track! Planning a wedding can be so overwhelming and you don’t want to get behind. It’s a special day and you want it to be perfect. 🙂
Again congratulations to all the newly engaged girls out there! I really am so happy for you!